Frontside of a picoscope server (dal024):
Mounting the Hardware
- Usually Someone from IN mounts the Pexaria card and connects the ethernet cables / the Pexaria LEMO .. here some details on that:
- The following two figures explain how-to install a PCIe card into a SuperMicro after the top cover has been removed.
Remove three screws (red) and pull the handle (blue).
Unplug the frame and mount PCIe modules.
Finally, reinsert the frame, close the handle, insert the three screws and reinstall the top cover.
Here a "Labeled" Pexaria card:
Please note that the Pexaria card must be registered by Timing
it gets connected to the Timing Network !!
Management Port (IPMI)
- Name of Managenment Port always is either <FECNAME>i64 or <FECNAME>i
- If management port is not reachable after first boot, unplug + replug of RJ45 should help.
- Reboot/Shuitdown/Console can be used on this website: <FECNAME>i64.acc.gsi.de -- Ask Alexander Schwinn for Password
- Only the left ethernet port seems to work
- This one is the management Port:
SuperMicro Ethernet ports.
- Uhhh, its not quite as simple; when only one Ethernet port is connected the following will happen
LAN Interface 'Failover' : all ports work as 'Management Port'; you can only reach the IPMI via <FECNAME>i64 (or <FECNAME>i)
LAN Interface 'Dedicate' : ports behave as indicated in the figure 'Management Port' above
- thus, check (and configure) the desired behaviour via IPMI -> Configuration -> Network
SuperMicro Ethernet port config.
Booting via PXE (Ramdisk) and Flashing Gateware
- Attention! There is a "proadcast bug" with older Pexaria gateware (v4.0.0 and below), which potentially may lead to broadcasted garbage events on the timing network. Because of that, please emediatly flash a new gateware on it when the system is Powered On !
- execute "pxe-config <FEC> scuxl.doomsday" or "pxe-config <FEC> scuxl.enigma" to set the required symlinks to the correct Ramdisk)
- ". /common/usr/cscofe/scripts/accdefs"
- Setup required scripts:
- reboot the system to load the correct ramdisk (e.g. via the management port)
- Flash the correct gateware to the Pexaria: https://www-acc.gsi.de/wiki/Main/CheckAndFlashTimingReceiverFirmware
- Optionally open bios and to set "resume to latest powerstate after power loss". (Default is to stay off after there was a power loss)
Installing Digitizer Fesa Software
- Checkout and build (validate, codegen, make) DigitizerClass2 and DigitizerDU2
- When DigitizerDU2.deploy is open, press "add FEC", clone an existing FEC (attention: possibly required to first fix instance file)
- Do required changes in new instance file (rename Fesa Device, *.grc filepath, Trigger Events)
- Copy flowgraph (*.grc) file from existing FEC to new folder and modify flowgraph according to what is requested (E.g. naming of channels, etc.)
- Commit changes to git
- Press "Launch FESA explorer" on the instance to get a *.zip which can be used by FEX
- On the instance file, press "export FESA instance to Database" to be able to access the new device via Japc (Check on this website that it is in: https://websvcpro.acc.gsi.de/groups/cscosv/fesaweb/index.html (only works on asl cluster))
- When DigitizerDU2.deploy is open, press "release", pick "inUse" .. actually thats only required to create all folders relevantr for FESA
- Execute "scripts/releaseDigitizer.sh" to do the actual release (Execute it with -h first) ... that will copy the *.grc file besides other stuff
Historic: USB Trouble
- If e.g. two scopes are recognized, lsusb will show something like:
- Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0ce9:1202
- Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0ce9:1211
- USB Bug Picoscope:
- There was a bug in the picotec firmware which led to failing reboot of supermicro systems (endless reboot loop)
- Picotec fixed the firmware bug and visited GSI to update the firmware on all our scopes (04.12.2018)
- Due to our ald kernel, it is still required to unbind + bind aller usb ports via script.
- USB Bug PCIE-USB Card
- We had problems with an older PCIE-USB Card (picoscope connection lost after some time). But now only new PCIE-USB Cards should be used.