Moving to a newer Eclipse Version
Every year a new major Release of the Eclipse IDE is available. To benefit from updates and bugfixes the second service release usually becomes available @GSI every year. For FESA developers moving from an older to a newer Eclipse version it is recommended to use a new workspace. The reason behind is that it cannot be guaranteed that a more recent Eclipse can still handle an existing workspace.
Migration of an existing Workspace
The following steps are recommended when moving existing projects to a new workspace:
- Synchronize the sources with the SVN repository, i.e. commit the changes from your workspace to the SVN repository
- Open the new Eclipse version and select a new workspace with another name. Eclipse will automatically create the new directory if it does not exist yet.
- Import existing projects from the old workspace using File > Import...
- On the following dialog window select the old workspace (Browse...)
- the list of the projects will be displayed
- select the desired projects
- check "Copy projects into workspace" to copy the whole project from the old into the new workspace
- The selected project(s) will be included in the new workspace and will be visible in Eclipse's Project Explorer