Git upload an existing project
Starting from our AppHowToProjectSetup
manual this explains how to create a new gitea repository and upload the source code.
Please make sure to read AppHowToGitInEclipseForBeginners
at least up to and including 2.1.
We will create a project in our personal git organisation which can later be move to one of the bigger organisations like fcc-applications or fcc-commons.
Create the gitea project
and Please follow the screenshots.
2. Enter you project name and information
- Owner: You name
- Chose a repository name that resembles or even is the same as the maven artifact name
- Private repository is only if you want to hide the project, none of your collegues will be able to see the project
- Leave the gitignore, license and especially the "initialize repository" option empty. We already have code that we want to upload and don't want do get any conflict
- Hit "Create Repository"
3. Repository created, copy URL
- Repository created successfully - make sure to copy the marked http repository URL.
4. Initialize the local git repository
Now we have to do some command line work. Open a bash shell and navigate to the source files of your project. (To get the path, in Eclipse: select
Project -> Properties -> Location
might help you)
Enter the following commands from the main project directory (were
# download a default gitignore file that will prevent eclipse project files from being uploaded
# Adjust the complete URL to the previously copied one
git remote add origin https://git.acc.gsi.de/REPLACE_COMPLETE_WITH_THE_URL_YOU_HAVE_COPIED_BEFORE
# Add and commit all these changes with the following command
git commit -am 'Initial commit'
# We will then push the changes using eclipse in the next step
5. Push the repository using eclipse
- Now we switch back to eclipse, select our project in the repository explorer and do a
"-> refresh" or hit
F5 while the project is selected
Team -> Push Branch "master"...
- (highlighted blue in the screenshot below)
- if you only have the options "Apply patch", "Share Project", and "Share Projects", choose "Share Project", select GIT and finish, repeate step 2
- There might be a prompt for your local
keystore password, enter it or cancel the
- Click on
Push in the following dialog pages
You can see an entry in your eclipse "history" view now and if you refresh you gitea project page.